Ibstock village lies 6 miles South-East of Ashby De La Zouch and is a large former coal mining village. First recorded in the Domesday book in 1086 as a hamlet with 6 ploughlands. The village was owned by Cistercian Garendon Abbey. Latterly the village was known for it's mining community connected in the 19th century by the Ashby and Nuneaton joint railway. The line closed completely in 1964 following the abandonment of passenger services in 1931. This large village enjoys a central high street with many facilities associated with a small town.
Ibstock has many stores including a supermarket, doctors, hairdressers, childrens nursery and both primary and secondary schools. On the fringe of the village lies Sense Valley park, a former open cast mining site which has been landscaped to provide natural lakes and forest now forming part of the National Forest.
Ibstock lies between the A42 and M1 motorways accessed via Coalville whilst further South links via Hinckley lead to the M69 and M6 respectively.
Ibstock has a primary school named 'St Denys Church of England School' and it's own secondary modern Ibstock Community College.